- Permanent part-time; 32 hours per week
- Central Palmerston North location
- New Role – Work with General Practice to reduce cardiovascular disease, diabetes and smoking related illnesses.
Cardiovascular disease, diabetes and smoking related illnesses are a huge health burden in New Zealand. The more we can do to work with patients to identify early health problems, the more likely we are to help prevent chronic illness and premature death. This role focuses on supporting General Practice to identify and work with patients to identify risk, and actively focus on reducing harm.
Central PHO (trading as THINK Hauora) supports primary health care services across Ōtaki, Horowhenua, Manawatū and Tararua. We have a strong focus on equity and a commitment to collaborating and partnering with others to achieve the vision of, ‘Connecting Communities for Wellbeing’.
About the Role:
Smoking is a major risk factor for heart disease. This is an exciting new role focusing on supporting General Practice Teams (GPT’s) to engage with priority populations including Māori, Pacific and pregnant women and people with mental health conditions.
Reporting to the Clinical Facilitator Lead, the Smoking Cessation/CVRA Facilitator will primarily focus on:
- Improved equity for priority populations to have Cardiovascular Disease Risk Assessment, (CVRA) informed discussion and appropriate follow up.
- Working alongside (GPT’s) to provide clinical oversight of priority populations who are eligible to receive funded appointments for Cardiovascular Disease Risk Assessment (CVDRA) testing.
- Work with Iwi & Māori and Pasifika providers and others to reach priority population and encourage enrolment to complete CVDRA and give Smoking Brief Advice and Smoking Cessation Support to the smoking population.
- Increase participation for Māori and Pasifika with moderate to high CVDRA scores in the funded primary health care Long Term Conditions Programme (including nutritional and physical activity) and to improve utilisation of an action plan.
- Provide regular performance information via the clinical dashboard for all GPT’s enabling the identification of high-risk patients and support GPT’s to recall these patients for follow up when required.
- Provide mentorship to those GPT’s demonstrating performance below expectations relative to their peers.
To be successful in this position you will bring your knowledge, experience and understanding of System Level Measures to contribute towards system-wide quality improvement.
You will have:
- Current clinical knowledge to support Cardiovascular wellbeing, and a commitment to Smokefree Aotearoa 2025 kaupapa.
- A passion to drive service improvement
- Proven experience leading and embedding change initiatives
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to build robust relationships with a variety of community stakeholders
- A genuine interest in the Primary Health Care Sector
This is an opportunity to make a difference to priority populations and you will feel passionate about doing just this.
To apply, send completed THINK Hauora Application Form and your CV / Cover Letter to email@example.com where your application will be automatically acknowledged.
If you are successfully recruited to the position you will be required to undergo a comprehensive safety check, including a New Zealand Police Vetting process.